Sunday, October 12, 2014

Hooks and Needles


 My crochet hooks and knitting needles have been busy for the last month plus.  In my last post I showed a picture of the baby car seat blanket I made for a former neighbor's new baby girl.  This post I'm showing the shawl/scarf I crocheted for a sister in law to complete a swap we did on Facebook.  It's done in a super soft snuggly yarn and in a lovely Autumnal rusty orange color.  I am rather kicking myself as I think I should have not added the fringe but just seamed the ends and made it a long cowl.  I also knitted her a neck cowl that was done in some wonderful colored yarn that varied from a lavender blue to bits of orange.
Next up is the super cuddly soft baby blanket I crocheted for my future grandson expected to arrive in late November.  It's a V-stitch pattern that worked up quickly and should keep the little sweetie nice and warm.
This is the knitted cowl I made for myself from Lion's Brand Homespun yarn in Harvest.  I love the warm Autumnal colors and it's simply done in a garter stitch.  It's long enough to pull up over my head as a hood plus neck warmer for chilly weather. If you'd like to make one yourself here is my simple pattern. 

1 Skein Lion's Brand Homespun yarn in your choice of color.
US 15 or 10mm single point knitting needles

Cast on 40 stitches
Work the garter stitch in rows until you reach the length you desire.  I just held it up around my neck while still on my needle to determine if I was happy with the length.  I used approximately 3/4 of my skein of yarn.
Cast off when you're happy with the length.
I joined the ends using a J crochet hook and slip stitched it to seam it together.
Weave in your loose ends using a yarn needle or crochet hook.

I didn't bother to block mine as it draped nicely and my stitches are even enough to not require blocking.  If you're new to knitting and you find your tension becomes looser as you knit you may want to dampen your cowl before you seam the ends and reshape it to a neat rectangular size and let air dry, then seam.  This lets your yarn make a memory of how it should lay and should hold it's shape better.  If you want a bulkier or larger cowl just use a bulkier yarn and bigger needles.  Change your number of stitches you cast on to the width you'd like your cowl to be.  Play a bit.  A cowl is a great first project and so popular these days.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment