Monday, September 23, 2013

Autumn is officially here!

My goodness, the Summer has flown by and Autumn is officially here.  My garden is a small one and produced just enough for us throughout the summer but no canning done this year.  I do have a freezer full of shredded zucchini for breads and cakes throughout the cooler months.  Although this will be in direct contrast to the healthy eating lifestyle I have adopted.  I found this image on Pinterest and thought it was the epitomy of Autumn.  I love this season and it's by far my favorite.  The richness of the leaf colors against an azure blue sky melt me every year.  While birds nest in the Spring I want to nest in the Autumn by bringing warmth to my home in my decor.  I use bittersweet, crimson leaf branches,cream/orange/rust candles and lanterns to achieve the look I want.  Out come the afghans in creams and rusts.  My curtains are an ombre in shades of russet, orange, and amber.  Guests are offered pumpkin coffee or cappuccino.  I use an Autumn essential oil to bring the lovely warmth of Autumn to my rooms.  Natural effects of warm woods, pine cones, pheasant feathers and acorns come to mind. I love the taste of pumpkin and the cooler temperatures make me want to make pumpkin bread or pancakes with warm maple syrup.  Apple cider simmering away on the stove makes me want to curl up with a toasty warm mug and blanket on the front porch while the cool breezes tickle my cheeks pink.  I thoroughly enjoy whipping out my yarn and crochet hook while I listen to the honking of wild Canadian geese as they begin their journey South.  It's already started.  I heard two flocks last night while I was out with my dog.  It will continue from now until late November with the flocks growing larger with each passing day as they try to find warmer climes before the snow flies.  Some do stay here in Wisconsin year around if they've found steady feed and a safe haven to ride out the winter months.  I begin to think about Christmas and what to give everyone this year.  Some gifts I will make and some I will purchase.  Autumn is the beginning of my wonderful nesting time and I look forward to it every year.  I hope you do too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment