Thursday, March 21, 2013

Home made Play Dough

Jak wanted some play dough today and so I headed out to the kitchen with good intentions and many years having passed since I'd made this.  I'd looked on Pinterest for recipes and found several but decided to wing it from memory and Jak's happy so I am too.  I will warn you ahead of time my "recipe" isn't measured out.  It's a bit of this and a bit of that with a guess at measurements to give you some idea.  The thing is, don't make this hard.  Your child will most likely be thrilled no matter what it turns out like.  They just want something squishy to play with.                                                                                                            Here's what I used:
 Take a nice large bowl and add approx. 2 cups of all purpose flour.  Then add approx. 1 cup of salt.  To that add approx. 2 tsp cream of tartar.  Next comes the cooking oil.  Add in slowly but I'd guess overall you'll need about a 1/2 to 1 cup of oil.  Stir it all together to form a soft dough ball.  The more you work this the happier you'll be with it.  If it seems too wet add in a bit more flour at a time until you're happy with the consistency.  It should pull away cleanly from the bowl but still be oily enough to not stick to hands.
 Once you've got your dough ball to the consistency you feel works then cut it into fourths.  To each fourth add several drops of food coloring and work the dough until the color is completely blended throughout.  Put each quarter of colored dough into a baggy and let the fun begin. 
I got out my cookie cutters and turned Jak  loose at my dining room table and he had a blast.  Cheap fun and it's non-toxic so no worries if curiosity causes a nibble to happen.  With the amount of salt in this no child is going to want more than a first taste LOL.  

1 comment:

  1. Isn't this playdough the best? I used to have to make it all the time for my pre-K class in BSF (Bible study). So glad to have you join my site. I just followed you too!

    Laura Turner from sundayview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete