Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Yummy Goodness

I was fortunate enough to be gifted homegrown pears from a friend and so I canned my first ever pear honey last evening.  I modified the recipe I found to my taste and oh my it sure tastes good.  Hubby and grandson both gave it rave reviews.  If you've never cooked pears before be prepared to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  But oh the time spent is so worth it.  Here's my recipe.  Feel free to modify to your own tastes by changing up the spices.
The day before canning peel your pears and soak in an orange juice/water mixture.  No worries about being real exact in measurements here.  This helps prevent some of the browning of the pears and also helps to tenderize them.  The next day process the pears in your food processor or food mill to a nice puree.  For each one cup of pureed pear add one cup of sugar.  Although u may want to cut down a bit on the sugar.  I shorted mine by one cup and it was still plenty sweet.  So if you have 12 cups of pear puree add 12 cups of white sugar or less to taste.  Then add cinnamon to taste and nutmeg to taste.  I used roughly 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg to 12 cups of puree.  Cook over medium heat till you reach a nice boil stirring constantly to prevent burning.  At this point I lowered the temp but maintained  vigilance as I didn't want burning or sticking.  Cook over low heat for 2 to 3 hrs.  At this point you should have a nice syrupy consistency batch the color of honey. Ladle into hot sterilized jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  I also added one maraschino cherry into each jar for a special treat.  Enjoy!

Pin It



No comments:

Post a Comment