Monday, September 28, 2009

Coffee Cake on a Cool Morning *RECIPE*


It's not quite October yet but this morning it sure feels like it. We got into the low 40's overnight with gusty winds and pouring rain that brought down lots of golden leaves. I'm disappointed in our fall leaf colors this year. Usually we have such beautiful colors but I'm noticing that many of our maples are simply turning quickly and dropping their leaves instead of allowing us to enjoy them over time. Some trees are nearly bare. Perhaps its because we had an unusually dry summer and they've decided to give up the ghost for this year to conserve energy for making new leaves next spring. At any rate, it is very nasty this morning. The right kind of morning to have warm coffee cake baking in the oven. So I couldn't resist whipping one up to waft warm cinnamon and vanilla scents throughout my home. Baking this morning serves two purposes. One to give my DH something warm and sweet to have with his morning coffee and secondly to take away the chill in our home. It's way too soon to turn on the furnace just yet. Coffee cake will do the trick. Have the urge to warm up your home and family this morning? I'll share my favorite recipe with you and hope that your family will enjoy it also.
Norma's Coffee Cake
3 C. Flour
1 C. Milk
1 1/2 C. Sugar
1/2 C. oleo
2 eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 T. baking powder
Cream oleo and sugar; add eggs and beat well. Add vanilla. Sift flour and baking powder together and add alternately with milk to egg mixture. Pour into greased 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle with topping.
Topping
4 T. Flour
1 C. brown sugar
4 T. oleo
2 tsp. cinnamon
Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle on top of cake batter. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes.

Enjoy and I hope you'll have a toasty warm Monday morning at your house. I know I will.

Pin It



4 comments:

  1. I love coffee cake. I have my grandmother's recipe. I can remember as a young girl going to visit and she would pull one (of many) baked and put in the freezer...then slice everyone a piece..so good.

    Yes, fall is here in the mountains..the leaves are changing before me so quickly. I'm taking pictures so I can follow the transition.

    Have a great day,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love coffe cake too. I have had frost on the windshield of my car in the morning as I go to class. Warm coffe cake is sounding good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMMMmmmmmmm! The weather here in Kansas is great for Coffee Cake. I enjoy it with yogart. Would like to try this recipe out...... thank you for posting it.

    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe. Looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete