Friday, October 10, 2008

To Sew or not to Sew...that is the question


I became a "sister" in Mary Jane's Farmgirls recently and have worked closely with a friend in my hometown to start our very own chapter. She has graciously offered the use of her shop for meetings after her store has closed. When you become a "sister" you receive a badge signifying such. It requires some time to make it your very own and it must go on a denim jacket like any good farm girl would have. The very first chapter meeting is on Monday Oct. 13th. I am hand sewing new trim on the jacket I purchased at a local thrift store. One of Mary Jane's tenets is reuse, recycle, repurpose and so "a thrifting" I went to find the perfect one. I decided I wanted to be able to wear mine more often than just when I need a jacket so I found a denim blazer. I'm adding new panels to the lapels as well as trimming with ribbon. My badge will then be sewn on to finish off my "new" creation. I have a perfectly good sewing machine but think my tension is a bit messed up so decided that to make this a true creation I am sewing it all by hand. My sore fingers...LOL. So far I am pleased with how it's turning out and will post a picture when it's all done. I wonder if I can earn a merit badge for my hand stitching....hmmmmmmm. Happy creating everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment